Connacht Rugby is currently undergoing a transformation with the implementation of a strategic plan to take performances to a new level both on and off the field. Great progress has been made over the last year with record season ticket sales, new facilities, a best ever league finish and further recruits both on and off the field ahead of 2012/13 season. There has never been a more exciting time in the clubs history.
As part of a re-structure we are now looking for a new Media & PR Executive to create and implement effective media strategies and operations to support our ambitious growth plans.
The right candidate will be someone who strives to achieve high levels of performance in a constantly changing environment and who is truly passionate about sports media and marketing. You will be someone looking for an opportunity to make their mark in the industry, showing strong awareness of required goals and standards.
We are looking for a quick thinker, excellent relationship builder and someone who displays real ambition to make an impact on our changing business.
Job functions / responsibilities:
- Create and deliver integrated PR strategies across all media platforms, both online and offline.
- Support the development of the Club’s marketing strategies.
- Act as the key contact for the Club in relation to media and PR matters, attending club/partner meetings as required.
- Create and source unique and compelling content for various programmes
- Ensure the Club’s media obligations to tournament organisers and club partners are met while striving to exceed expectations.
- Responsible for day-to-day liaison with media, responding in a timely manner to all media enquiries.
- Build effective working relationships with journalists and related media contacts at all levels.
- Manage all aspects of the club’s media obligations at home match days including access (and parking), media centre, interview requests and match reporting. This to encompass internal/external liaison in advance and on the day with television broadcasters.
- Ensure that the club’s media and reporting obligations at away match days are fulfilled.
- Maintain, develop and enhance media contact databases.
- Liaise with other clubs, tournament organisers, partners and suppliers to ensure the club’s interests are progressed and protected in a media context.
- Produce external communications and media materials, including press releases, quotes, statements, Q & A’s and internal and external briefings.
- Proactively generate and ‘sell in’ news and feature ideas.
- Work with marketing personnel to manage the production of material for new Connacht Rugby TV so that it becomes a leader in its field.
- Manage the club’s press launches, photo calls and media events by co-ordinating involvement from players and coaches ensuring they support and deliver key messages.
- Ensure effective monitoring is in place at all times and media results are logged, analysed and provide regular updates to Senior Management.
- Develop a communications plan with Domestic Game staff to drive the profile of the community game in line with the professional game – provide advice on activity and best practice.
- Keep abreast of the changing media environment, highlighting and reacting to any opportunities, trends or topical issues that could enhance the club’s profile or add value.
- Highlight opportunities for growth of the club’s media and PR function in line with our business development goals.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge and Attributes
- Bachelor Degree or equivalent in Media, Communications and PR related fields.
- 3 to 5yrs relevant PR and Media experience
- A keen interest in the area of sports media and marketing- particularly rugby
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
- Solution orientated with strong problem solving skills
- Strong time management and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and take on more responsibility as the business evolves
- Familiar with website Content Management System tools & HTML, social media tools and video production
- Resilient with a can do attitude and strong initiative
- Highly self-motivated to take ownership
- Flexible – role requires long hours including weekends and a lot of travel
The successful candidate will have a key role in the next phase of Connacht Rugby’s development and will have an excellent opportunity to build significant experience and contacts in the sports industry within a fast developing sports brand.
To apply – please forward your CV with a cover letter outlining the reasons you should be appointed to the post to
, including details of current remuneration.
Email subject should be titled Application: Media and PR Executive 2012.
The closing date for applications is Friday 22nd June 2012. Interviews will be held immediately after closing date. Due to the expected high volume of applicants we can only respond to applicants successfully called to interview.