Ballinasloe took on Creggs in this third round Junior 1B league fixture at breezy Moher on Saturday night and fell foul of a 5pts to 3 scoreline.This was a physical and uncompromising battle from first whistle to last yet played in the true spirit of the game, giving referee Emmet Dormer an easy ride in the disciplinary front. Creggs took up the offensive from the off and were the stronger outfit in a game fought out at close quarters between the packs for the most part. Most of the opening period was played in the Ballinasloe half and while the visitors dominated possession they could make little headway againsta well marshalled and resolute home defence.They appeared to have only one plan which was to get the crash ball to their sturdy centre, Mark Hester, who got over the gain line on a number of occasions but a scrambling Ballinasloe defence and slow ball never allowed them to build up any momentum. Surprisingly, it was the home side who took the lead in the 30th minute  when the visitors were penalised for holding on after the tackle.Lorcan Feerick. landed the penalty from 35 metres for what turned out to be the only score of the opening half. The second period was more of the same forward dominated battle though Ballinasloe did try to open up play at stages. Their back row forwards, John Kelly and Aidan Doorley, did lead drives into Creggs 22 metre line but little came of their efforts. The visitors managed to get their noses in front with about ten minutes left for play. A Ballinasloe player was penalised for obstructing an opponent as he chased a kick ahead and Creggs kicked the resultant penalty in to the corner.They won the lineout and patiently built through five phases of play before
finding a gap in the Ballinasloe rearguard for a try credited to Mark Hester. The conversion attempt was unsuccessful. Thus ended a game that was low in subtlety but high in endeavour.

Age Grade Rugby:
Ballinasloe’s U19s had a big league win away against Dunmore on Sunday on the score of 25pts to 7. The U17s lost out narrowly to Buccaneers in their league encounter also on Sunday. In a keenly contested fixture at Moher the locals were unlucky to concede two tries in the first half. Though short five regulars Ballinasloe battled gamely in the second period and got on top as the half wore on.They scored a late try when Jacob Walsh crashed over with Cormac Clogher kicking the conversion. Unfortunately, time ran out before they could build on that momentum. Final score 7pts to 10. A skilful U15s side played some attractive rugby on their way to defeating Galweigans in the league on Saturday. The final score was 19pts to 16 and Ballinasloe scored 3 fine tries in that win.



Energia All-Ireland League Round-Up: Buccaneers stay atop Division 1B, Sligo & Corinthians win