Ballinasloe had a comfortable jaunt in this one sided league win over a disappointing Ballinrobe side at Graigueawoneen on Sunday. Fresh from their opening league win the previous week-end, the locals were set fair for another big challenge but the Mayo men never rose to the bait and were a demoralised team long before the end. The hosts were far more eager for the fray and this showed in their attacking approach from the start.

The locals opened their account after fourteen minutes when their opponents were pinged for off-side in front of their posts and Keelan O’Neill kicked over the resultant penalty. With Ballinrobe slow to clear their line, Kevin Dolan took advantage of their hesitancy and having snapped up a loose ball dived over for the opening try of the afternoon in the eighteenth minute as O’Neill added the conversion. Ballinrobe fought back and when they were awarded a penalty in the twenty seventh minute Oisin Gill put them on the scoreboard with a successful kick at goal. Ballinasloe did not wait around and with Faolan Sweeney sweetly pulling the strings at fly half with fast crisp passes to bring his backs into play further scores were inevitable. The visitors try line lived a charmed life on a number of occasions before Ballinasloe scored their second try in the thirty fourth minute. In a move straight from the training paddock, Andy O’Hara found Aidan Doorley with a dart at a line out. He neatly dropped the ball into the arms of waiting prop J.J.Carey who barged over for an unconverted try. Robert Aherne closed the action on the half time whistle with a neatly run in try to leave the score at the break 20pts to 3.

Ballinasloe took up where they left off as the second half kicked on and Kevin Dolan got his second try following a maul to the line just seven minutes in with the conversion going askew. They now introduced the dynamic John Hayes for the injured Mark Harrigan which only added more misery to the visitors plight. A fine passing movement between the Ballinasloe forwards saw No 8 Niall Staunton release open  side flanker Aidan Doorley for a sweet try but unfortunately the score did not find it’s way into the referee’s records and does not count. The locals pounded on  and  tries from Benny Brophy and Conor Loughrey went on the scoreboard before Hayes ran in yet another try right at the death with O’Neill adding the conversion with the last kick of the game.

Ballinasloe will be very happy with their day’s endeavour but know that there are more demanding tests ahead.

Ballinasloe: M.Tierney, M.Gibbons, C.Johnston, K.O’Neill, R.Aherne, F.Sweeney, R.Doolan, J.J.Carey, A.O’Hara(capt), T.Dolan, K.Dolan, M.Harrigan, H.Reynolds, N.Staunton, A.Doorley. Replacements: G.Donnellan (used), A.Wade, J.Hayes(used), B,Brophy(used), Conor Loughrey(used).

In other action at the week-end both the second xv and the U15s travelled to take on their Ballina counterparts but lost out in both bouts while the U19s lost on the road to Galweigans


Mini-Rugby between Ballina RFC and Loughrea RFC