The under 15 Connacht Cup Final was played out in front a fantastic crowd in the Sportsground on Sunday. Ballinasloe who won the under 14 Cup last season took on Galway Corinthians in the first part of a cup double header on the day. Ballinasloe started the brighter of the two sides winning a succession of early penalties in the Corinthians half. Ballinasloe almost made their dominance count on three minutes but knocked on as they crossed the try line. Ballinasloe won the resulting scrum but were held up just short of the Corinthians line as they chased the game’s first score.
After six minutes the Ballinsloe full back, Sean Horkan, crossed for the first try of the match. The extras were added from the right touch line by number 10 Cian Treacy. Corinthians gradually began to work their way into the game and some impressive carries by their number 4 Hubert Costello saw them spend some time inside the Balinasloe half. Corinthians couldn’t convert this territory into points. On 23 minutes Ballinsloe ventured back into the Corinthians 22 and received a penalty on the Corinthians 5 metre line. Ballinsloe, who were the slighty bigger and more physical of the two sides opted for a scrum and this proved to be a wise choice as they spread the ball wide to number 14 Padraig Flanagan who got in for the second try of match. The impressive Treacy could not add the conversion on this occasion leaving the score 12-0 in favour of Ballinasloe.
On the stroke of half time Ballinasloe crossed the Corinthians line for a third time following a flowing move down the left hand side. Oisin McCormac eventually touching the ball down under the posts to leave Treacy the simple task of adding the extra two points. Ballinasloe lead 19-0 at half time having clinically taken their opportunities in the first half.
Corinthians began the second half well knowing they needed the next score to eat into the Ballinasloe lead. Five minutes into the second half Corinthians got the score their pressure deserved as Colm McDonagh crossed to make the score 19-5. The resulting conversion was missed from the right touch line. The confidence of the Corinthians players was now rising and they continued to enjoy large amounts of possession within the Ballinasloe half. Despite this persistent pressure Corinthians couldn’t find the score they needed to put the pressure on their opponents and on 48 minutes Ballinalsoe broke away to score a fourth try. Ignatius Muldoon touched down and the conversion was slotted over by the reliable Treacy once more. With the score now standing at 26-5 in favour of Ballinasloe both teams began to empty their respective benches. Corinthians battled valiantly to claw their way back into the contest but the Ballinsloe defence remained disciplined, allowing them to see out a 26-5.

Ballinasloe: 1. Seamus Egan 2. Odhran Dooley 3. Gavin O’Dowd 4. Cian Silke 5. Jack Noone 6. Patrick Grehan 7. Fergus Finneran 8 Oisin McCormack 9. Cormac Finn 10. Cian Treacy 11. Jason Cunningham 12. James Carry 13. Shane Jennings 14. Padraig Flanagan 15. Sean Horkan 16. Luke Dunne 17. Robert Shiel 18. Padraic Galvin 19. Jamie Curley 20. Ignatius Muldoon 21. Fintan Donnelan 22. Mark Poland
Corinthians: 1. Cian Scanlon 2. Eoin de Buitlear 3. Colm McDonagh 4. Hubert Costello 5. Peader McTavish 6. Aaron Connair 7. Diarmuid McCormack 8. Connall O’Griofa 9. Aaron Browne 10. Cathal Forde 11. David McCarthy 12. Ciaran Dillon 13. Darragh Hanrahan 14. Peter Coyne 15. Diarmuid Kilcommins 16. Colin O’Shea 17. Aiden O’Loughlin18. Adan Heffernan 19. Joseph Ward 20. Sean Anthony Costello 21. Ian Richard Kennedy 22. James Philips 23. Michael Officer.





U18 Girls team named to face Ulster