Galwegians 18 beat Ballinasloe 10

Ballinasloe all-too-expertly demostrated the downside of five weeks off going down to Galwegians last Sunday.

Ballinasloe took an age to meet ‘Wegians’ tempo, defensive lapses the most-telling feature. Not surprisingly, Galwegians outflanked the visitors on the left wing as early as the fifth minute for the opening try. Ballinasloe had an opportunity to reduce the arrears 13minutes in but the usually-reliable Ian Duffy was off target.

A missed kick to touch by Ballinasloe opened up the tryline for Galwegians again, 10-nil. The visitors managed to post points before the break through Stephen Tierney’s quickthinking. He took charge of a tap-penalty and scurried over to halve the deficit.

A bout of Ballinasloe belly-fire in the second half put the hosts under pressure, and shifted play to within a few feet of the blue goal-line. Again, ring rusty impatience scuppered that promising effort. A ‘Wegians penalty brought sighs of relief after 45minutes (13-5).

Andrew Mannion’s half-break shortly after thrust play deep into ‘Wegians territory but the cover-defence rallied and isolated the lonesome soldier, but Tierney again capitalised on a promising forward drive for his second of the afternoon (15-10). The typically-composed Glenina nerves began fraying as the clock wound down.

Peter Claffey, so powerful in the Ballinasloe second-row, fell to injury and was forced from the field. In his absence, Galwegians got the all-important final score, a third unconverted try, and finished the right side of the ledger, eight points up. Despite the eleventh-hour capitulation, Ballinasloe remain on track for a top-four finish and a berth in the league play offs.

(Ballinasloe: B.Shaughnessy, P.Flannery, C.Dooley, C.Barrett, A.Mannion, I.Duffy, S.Tierney, P.Gilson, S.Lyons, P.O’Hara, P.Claffey, C.Twohig, D.Connolly, J.Codyre, M.Kelly. Replacements: J.Harwood, C.Noone, D.Cahill, S.Holland, N.Higgins, M.Fahy, S.Horan)

contributed – Liam Courtney


Mini-Rugby between Ballina RFC and Loughrea RFC