Carrick’s men kick started their season last Sunday when they played Connemara in their third league game of the season in J2. Having lost their opening two games against Corinthian and Tuam and the nature of the defeats Carrick were keen to right some wrongs and perform for a full 80mins which had eluded them in those opening fixtures.

In near perfect playing conditions Carrick kicked off towards the road end where they immediately laid down and early marker through a dominant scrum and stubborn defence. From early on Connemara found themselves pinned back in their own half, a plethora of forced handling errors, the result of excellent pressure been exerted by the Carrick defence. This pressure was soon after rewarded through two early penalties but Carrick failed to convert through Weaver and Coffey.

Despite leaving six points behind Carrick continued to play their game through powerful forward play, only using their backs when the opportunity presented itself. Guckian and Roddy were a constant thorn in the side of Connemara, running the ball at every opportunity. Carrick nearly crossed for the games first try 10 minutes in through a wide ball fed to speedster Lupton who bolted from inside his own half only to be pushed to touch from 5 meters out from a last gasp tackle.

It was clear from the inroads been made in the early stages of the first half a Carrick try was inevitable, and so it was. After getting themselves into Connemara’s 22 Coffey whipped the ball out right to outhalf Weaver who showed great strength to fend off three defenders to cross the line. Weaver converted his own try and Carrick led 7-0 midway through the first half.

As always seems to be the way from a restart Connemara pulled 3 points back after Carrick were adjudged to be holding on, 7-3 and Connemara very much in the game on the scoreboard. Unperturbed by the scoreline Carrick set about regaining a foothold inside Connemara’s half, at times Carrick forcing the pass and squandering golden opportunities to extend the lead. But extend the lead they eventually did, Guckian ran a ball off the back of a scrum 10 meters out to pop to Coffey on the narrow to run in under the posts. Weaver converts, Carrick 14-3 ahead at 40mins.

With only a couple of scores in it and Carrick playing into the sun Connemara began a spirited comeback as their backs finally got into the game. Carrick’s defence continued to remain solid but they were pinged for been off their feet allowing Connemara’s sharp shooter pull another 3 points back. Over the next 5 minutes Carrick seem to lose their way as a rejuvenated Connemara went hands and pushed the ball wide and round the Carrick defence to score their first try. Conversion missed but Connemara had now scored 8 unanswered points and only trailed by 3 points at 14 – 11.

Weaver, the try scoring hero from the first half, nearly turned villain as his long pass was intercepted for a straight run at the line but amazingly, from a dead start Weaver showed fantastic athleticism to get back and catch the a try bound Connemara man. It appeared this was the wake up call Carrick needed as they regained their first half appetite. Aided by fresh legs through the introduction of two props and a flanker Carrick upped the ante driving hard at Connemara’s defensive. Leading the line was Guckian and Foley who made the hard yards but were valiantly held at the whitewash. Having tried route one rugby Carrick shipped the ball from left to right through the line where second centre O’Shannon darted into the corner for his first of the season, and Carrick’s 3rd of the game.

Turning the screw, the pressure was cranked up as Connemara began to concede penalty after penalty. Sniffing another try Carrick persisted with the corner but through bad luck and stubborn defence came up short. The penalties continued to come and Carrick opted for points through the boot of Coffey and Weaver to give some breathing space. With the game concluding Carrick’s forwards and man of the match Guckian got the reward as Gucks ran in under the posts from a set piece.connemara2

A well deserved victory and hopefully the start of strong season to come. Special mention to Owen McDermott who was out to support the lads on Sunday after breaking his leg in the build up to Tuam two weeks prior.

Carrick Team

1. Colm McWeeney (C), 2. Joe Kennedy, 3. Joe Mulvey, 4. Jason Roddy, 5. Sean McKeon, 6. Emmet Argue, 7. Cormac Kellagher, 8. Steven Guckian, 9. Kevin Coffey, 10. Eddie Weaver, 11. Barry Lupton, 12. Conor Glancy, 13. Davitt O’Shannon, 14. Conor O’Neill, 15. Derek Burns 16. Justin Farrell, 17. Gearoid Barry, 18. Dermot Foley, 19. Paddy McKeon, 20. Ollie Deignan, 21. Liam Logan, 22. Oz Ibrahmi, 23. Jason O’Donnell





Canterbury Warriors took on Mullingar at CPL Park Longford on Sunday last, it was a perfect day for rugby. Mullingar kicked off with the sun at their backs and the Warriors ran it back at them, it was a tight opening 10 mins with both defences working hard. Mullingar worked a good ball out the wing and the Warriors missed a few tackles and the Mullingar winger ran in for their first try which was converted. 

From the kick off Mullingar were in control again and it wasn’t long before the winger was in for another try with the conversion missed. The Warriors were finding it difficult to keep possession and with Mullingar putting in some great kicks they were pinning the Warriors back, under the pressure the Warriors were giving away too many penalties and it wasn’t long before Mullingar were rewarded with a penalty try which was converted. 0 to 19. The Warriors  were now starting to wake up and they put together some good phases of rugby but a quick turnover left them short on the wing and Mullingar ran in for their bonus point try which was not converted,  the Warriors were really struggling and conceded a late 5th try before half time 0 to 29.

Having had a very tough first half the Warriors came out fighting in the second half and really took it to Mullingar. The forwards started to pick round the side of the rucks and make some good ground. The backs started to get their moves going and break some tackles.  This was a much improved performance and Mullingar were now starting to concede penalties. The Warriors kept Mullingar scoreless in the second half with some determined defending but they could not find a way through the Mullingar defence despite some good breaks. 

This was a tough defeat to take but the Warriors can take alot from the way they played in the second half. With Navan to play next weekend they will be determined to put this defeat behind them and put in a solid 80min performance and get back to winning ways.

Girl of the game goes to Sinead Kenny for a fearless game of rugby.

Team: ClíodhnaO’Donnell (Capt.), Maeve McKeon, Catriona Kielty, MaireHanly, Emma Mulvey, Aoife Kelly, Mairead Coy, Sinead Kenny, Yvonne Dowd, Linda Corcoran, Sharon Treacy, Mirriam Gonzalo, Claire McDermott, Leona Mulvihill Farrell and Carol Manning. Subs: Amanda Lennon, Samantha Lulham, Stacey Donohue, Leanne Early, Lisa O’Donnell, Mary Cronogue and Siobhan Nugent. Coach: Damian Curley.



Carrick U16 squad travelled down to Galway today to play Galwegian Blacks in the U16 Development league.

It was a glorious day with clear sunshine and not a breeze in the sky, and the well drilled Galwegians burst out of the blocks with all cylinders firing. Sadly, Carrick was slow to wake up after the long journey.   Within the first ten minutes the Galwegians’ were well ahead, scoring some wonderful tries and converting them with ease.
However, luck was also with the home team with fumbled balls falling backwards rather than forwards, while Carrick were being denied the same 50/50 balls. Nevertheless, the   match didn’t all go Glaswegians’ way, and before the half time break, Carrick managed to get on the board with a well worked try of their own.

The second half was much like the first, with some clever individual play and well-worked team moves carving up the Carrick defensive line, before Carrick rallied and again scored a try under the sticks.

Galwegians were now playing into the dazzling sunshine, but they coped with the challenge reasonable well and continued to pressurise the Carrick defensive line, with each side scoring another try before the end of the game. The final score was 57-17 and a deserved win by the home team, but I’m sure the Carrick lads will have benefitted from the game also.
The game was played in the best of manner, and great camaraderie by all the players who are a credit to their clubs. A huge thanks to the coaches, players and everyone behind the scenes at Galwegians’ for a great afternoons rugby.


Last Sunday, as a result of a nationwide competition run for every rugby club in the country, Carrick RFC won the opportunity to fundraise inside the Aviva Stadium before, during and after the Ireland v Georgia game.  The club would like to thank all the volunteers who proudly represented Carrick on Shannon RFC at the Aviva, in the continuing bid to raise funds. What a fantastic day for club and country. Finally we’d especially like to thank both the Aviva and IRFU staff for all their help on the day


New Training Grounds

Training for each section in the club is at our new grounds at Keenaghan, Castlecara Road, Carrick on Shannon.  For directions, please see; for more info.

MENS TEAM – Colm McWeeney 087 6036566

WOMEN’S TEAM – Aoife Kelly 087 4101155

YOUTHS/MINI’S – Aidan Lenihan 086 386 7960

Barry McGonigle



Gallery: University of Galway hosts Kay Bowen Cup