Castlebar resumed their Connacht J1 League campaign when they hosted Galwegians at Cloondeash  on Saturday night. This was a wet and blustery night and the strong crossfield breeze affected the play throughout. Both sides showed the effects of the long layoff due to the weather with poor handling and tactical choices.  Castlebar dominated throughout in the scrum and lineout with excellent work from Rory Hughes, Daire Mulgrew and Paddy Flannelly but did not capitalise as they should have given the amount of ball they had. However a win was what they needed and there was no point during the game when the outcome was in doubt.  The game was memorable for the two fine individual tries scored from midfield in the second half by Castlebar captain and man of the match Paul Coady.

Castlebar played agianst the wind in the first half and soaked up the early pressure from the Galwaymen. However their dominance in the scrum gave plenty of ball on the seventh minute the ball made its way out to winger Seamus Clancy who made a fine break into the Galwegians 22. Castlebar applied pressure through the phases which resulted in a scrum in the clubhouse corner. Castlebar pushed for the line and Davy Staunton got the touchdown in the corner. The wind took Robbie Cusacks difficult conversion attempt. Castlebar held the upper hand for the remainder of the half but only added a further penalty from Cusack to leave the half time score Castlebar 8 Galwegians 0.

Castlebar started the second half with the aid of the strong blustery wind but early Galwegians pressure brought a penalty for offside under the posts which outhalf Darragh Mullins converted. Castlebar took the game into the Galwegians half from the restart and it was Paul Coady who lit up the game with a fine individual try from midfield. Robbie Cusack converted. However Galwegians began to assert themselves and played some fine rugby in the loose until winger Shane Thompson took off down the line to score in the corner and give hope to his team mates. Further pressure lead to a penalty which Mullins converted. Castlebar pressed on and brought the game into the Galwegians half, where further good pressure was frustrated by poor handling until the ball once again came to Coady in midfield. He once again scored a fine individual try, which Ronan Conway converted to leave the final score Castlebar 25 Galwegians 11.

Castlebar are away to Ballinrobe next weekend.

Castlebar :- R. Conway, S. Clancy, M. Staunton, P. Coady, N. Byrne, R. Cusack, C. Cusack, D. Staunton, P. Flannelly, G. Sullivan, R. Hughes, B. Flannery, N. Coyle, L. Molloy.

Galwegians :- C. O’Brien, S. Thompson, D. McCarthy, D. O’Flaherty, D. Carney, D. Mullins, M. Connolly, M. Rouse, C. Casserly, J. Perrott, D. Hogan, B. Aherne, m. Burke, J. Mackey, D. Derham.

Ref; Pete McCarthy


The Jes reach last four with last minute winner