Coláiste Iognáid 23 – 13 Sligo Grammar

Senior_Scholls_Final300Coláiste Iognáid won the 2010/11 Supermacs Connacht Senior Schools Cup final at The Sportsground after beating title holder Sligo Grammar 23 – 13.
Grammar got off the mark the better of the 2 teams and out-half Colm Egan put them in the lead with a 5ht minute penalty after The Jes were caught diving off their feet at the breakdown. David Cunnane levelled the scores 2 minutes later with a penalty for Jes but Sligo were in the driving seat and after a deft offload from scrum-half Enda Gavin David Heath scored the first try of the match. 5 minutes later Colm Egan intercepted a stray Jes pass and after jinking his way passed 3 defenders offloaded to John Healy to score Sligo’s 2nd try of the game. The conversion attempt fell just short leaving Sligo with a 13 3 lead. Coláiste Iognáid were unlucky not to secure their 1st try of the game when, after 3 penalties in the Grammar 22,  Fiachra Bourne’s try was disallowed after referee Karol Collins spotted a forward pass. Sligo’s number 8 Diarmuid O’Dowd-Hill was sin-binned for collapsing a Jes maul and they paid for his absence when flanker Michael Burke crashed over just before half-time. Winger Robert Butler added the conversion to leave just 3 points between the 2 sides at half-time at 13 – 10.

Coláiste Iognáid started the second-half as they finished the first and it took just 3 minutes for Butler to cross for his second try of the match after Davin Cunnane’s inside pass to captain Brian Dixon and his off-load in the tackle left the winger free to dot down under the posts. Butler added the conversion to leave 4 points between the sides and the Jes were unlucky not to add another try 10 minutes later, hooker Robet Murray was brought down by a try saving tackle from Grammar full-back Jason McGoldrick. 22 minutes into the second-half Robert Butler kicked a penalty for the Jes to leave 7 points between the 2 sides and despite late pressure from the Grammar with excellent ball-carryies from captain Thomas Ferrari and lock Shane Boyle, Jes finished the stronger of teh 2 teams. With virtually the last play of the game Robert Butler added 3 more points to bring his tally to 15 to leave the final score Coláiste Iognáid 23 – 13 Sligo Grammar.
Pics (C)

Postmatch interviews with Coláiste Iognáid Captain Brian Dixon and Head Coach Stephen Parkinson:




The Jes reach last four with last minute winner