After a nail biting finish in an effort to drill out a final try to tie the game and bring it to extra time, it unfortunately just wasn’t Connacht’s day. Final score at Kingsholm Stadium, 14-7 in Gloucester’s favour.

Replacement, No 19 Mick Kearney aggravated his foot in the warm up and was a late change to the side as George Naoupu stepped up to take his place on the bench.

Pat Lam’s men entered the changing room two tries down at half time but with a huge defensive display in the first half. Possession was predominatly held by the home side for the first half, but Connacht reversed the play in the second, pushing Gloucester back to their half and attacking until they achieved a penalty try for their efforts. Despite great efforts from the Connacht side, Gloucester held out the visiting to side to clench the win.

At 19.45 the game kicked off, fans already making themselves heard in the historic stand at Kingsholm Stadium, “The Shed”.

Connacht held Gloucester up from scoring in the first 20 minutes with a good defensive performance, despite play being predominantly in their 22 for the time. However in the 20 James Hook broke past the Connacht defence and Charlie Sharples went on to score the first try. Greig Laidlaw struck a coversion on target to give the homeside their first seven points.

In the 30”, with their confidence high, a kick from Hook bounced in The Cherry and Whites favour, Bill Meakes took advance and made the score 12-0 and Laidlaw continued to execute the kick with accuracy bringing the score to 14-0.

Mils Muliaina came off in the 33” and was replaced by No 23 Darragh Leader. Tiernan O’Halloran moved to full back with. At half time the score ended at 14-0 to the home side.

Half time: Gloucester 14 – 0 Connacht

Connacht came out strong in the second half, pushing the Gloucester into their own half for the first ten minutes. The maul finally paid off off for Connacht in the 65” where they were awarded a penalty try. Jack Carty grabbed the conversion to bring the score to 14-7.

Gloucester, despite good passages of play from Connacht, were able to hold on to the seven point lead and win the quarter final. They now advance to the semi finals of the competition.

Full time: Gloucester 14 – 7 Connacht

Gloucester Rugby:Steve McColl, Charlie Sharples, Bill Meakes, Billy Twelvetrees (capt), Jonny May, James Hook, Greig Laidlaw, Dan Murphy, Richard Hibbard, John Afoa, Tom Savage, Tom Palmer, Sione Kalamafoni, Matt Kvesic, Gareth Evans

Replacements:Darren Dawidiuk, Nick Wood, Sila Puafisi, James Hudson, Ross Moriarty, Dan Robson, Billy Burns, Henry Purd

Connacht: M Muliaina, T O’Halloran, D Poolman, R Henshaw, M Healy, J Carty, K Marmion, D Buckley, T McCartney, R Ah You, Q Roux, A Muldowney, A Browne, E Masterson, J Muldoon (capt)

Replacements: S Delahunt, JP Cooney, Finlay Bealham, G Naoupu (3” for A Muldowney (blood injury), 43” for Browne), J Connolly (73” Masterson), I Porter (63″ for Healy), C Ronaldson (52” for Poolman), D Leader (33” for Muliaina)

Attendance: 14, 236

Referee: Mathieu Raynal

Man of the Match: 


Gallery: 6 Nations and Celtic Challenge