Blade cuts open Ospreys for Connacht win

29 October 2022

Blade cuts open Ospreys for Connacht win

On the day of Jarrad Butler’s 100th cap and debuts for Adam Byrne and Darragh Murray, Connacht leave Swansea beating Ospreys 22-19.

A very entertaining first half, but not for the first time this season Connacht got off to a poor start when Ospreys took an early lead. Playing off scraps Ospreys pounced on the opportunity that came their way which led to Huw Sutton crossing over after two minutes of play.

Things didn’t get much better for Connacht who started the game very scrappy and once again giving the Ospreys another soft try to widen their lead to 12 after eight minutes. Scrum half Morgan-Williams with the try.

Ospreys went down to 14 after Ethan Roots was shown a yellow for a dangerous late tackle on Gavin Thornbury.

Playing with an extra man Connacht couldn’t capitalise on the advantage. Plenty of opportunities created with a number of entries into the Ospreys 22 including a Jack Aungier disallowed try, the prop forward who was held up over the line in the 20th minute. From the resulting drop kick, Ospreys went straight down the other end with a defensive line-out to Connacht in their own 22.

26 minutes on the clock and Roscommon man Darragh Murray made his Connacht debut, a player you no doubt will be seeing more of.

With less than ten minutes to go Connacht found their feet when Alex Wootton got their first try of the game. This score all started when John Porch managed to grab a ball most players wouldn’t have been able to. Tiernan O’Halloran with the offload which was behind the Connacht winger, but no bother to Porch who somehow managed to collect it while in full flight. Connacht then went through a few phases before Jack Carty sent a lovely pass to the right which Wootton collected before flying over.

Five minutes later, Caolin Blade crossed over after great work by centre partnership David Hawkshaw and Tom Farrell with a one two combination of passes. Carty converted and Connacht went in at half time two in front. The half also saw Adam Byrne come on for his debut for the men in green.

Andy Friend’s side got off to the perfect start in the second half when John Porch got the third Connacht try of the game after an Osprey error in the lead up. Porch finishing off after a number of phases in the lead up.

Connacht controlled the majority of the second half with Jack Carty managing the game extremely well. Ospreys though did get another try when Sam Parry got the hosts third try of the game in the 69th minute. The conversion was kicked to make it a three point game.

With the game on the line Connacht held on to make it back-to-back wins in the BKT United Rugby Championship to end this block of games on a high.

Connacht’s next game will be away to Munster at the end of the month.