Quinn equals five-try record

Connacht Junior Cup

Creggs 67 Dunmore 5

man_of_the_match_sean_quinnCreggs ran out easy winners against Dunmore in the Connacht Junior Cup game played at The Green on Sunday. There was little indication in a tightly-contested first half that the game would become so one-sided, as Dunmore tackled with ferocity, while their forwards matched the Creggs eight in most facets of play.
Creggs got off to an early 5-0 lead when flanker Bernard Kilcommons rounded off a slick handling move for a fine try. Winger Sean Quinn popped up in midfield to carve through the Dunmore defence in the 16th minute for a try and this was only the start of a dream performance by the Fairfield man as he went on to equal the club try-scoring record with four more tries in the second half. Dunmore simply had no answer to his power and pace on the right wing.
Micheál Conway added a third try for Creggs to stretch their lead to 17-0 before Brendan Burns brought Dunmore right back into the game with a powerful charge, which tore the defence to shreds. Dunmore dominated the second quarter and Creggs were lucky to reach half time without conceding any further scores. During this period Dunmore, driven only by their experienced No. 8 Burns, constantly got over the gainline and only a superb try-saving tackle by full back Dave Flahive kept the home team comfortably ahead.
Unfortunately for Dunmore, Brendan Burns had to retire through injury early in the second half and with his departure, the floodgates opened. Man of the Match Sean Quinn powered over for a try in the 44th minute to put Creggs 22-5 ahead, and he completed his hat-trick moments later following a superb three-quarter line move. Barry Egan and Matt Corcoran added further tries before replacement flanker Kieran Ryan finished off a length-of-the-pitch move to score under the posts. The unstoppable Quinn showed superb anticipation to score two more tries, powering down the wing in top gear. Fittingly, replacement prop-forward Larry Mannion crossed the line for Creggs’ final try to leave Dunmore shell-shocked at the final whistle of a game, which referee Alan Moore officiated with calm authority in is first Junior Cup match.
Creggs now march on to the quarter finals, but with powerful teams like Monivea and Sligo also running up big scores, coach Noel Flynn will be hoping for a favourable draw to build on this performance in the next round of the competition.
Creggs: Dave Flahive, Micheál Conway, Barry Egan, Conor Brandon, Sean Quinn, Emmet Collins, Mark Brandon; Pat Coffey, Matt Corcoran, Paul McNeill, Enda Mulkerrins, Tom Fleming, Bernard Kilcommons, Kevin Brandon, Ja Hughes, Larry Mannion, Paul Mahony, Kieran Ryan, Noel Flynn.
creggs_first_teamConnacht Junior 2 League
Buccaneers 6 Creggs 26
Creggs produced their best display of the season to defeat a powerful Buccaneers squad on their home patch on Friday night. Buccs totally dominated the opening stages of the game, and only heroic defence kept the Creggs try line intact in the face of intense pressure.
Eventually, Mark Brandon hacked a clearance upfield and this lifted the siege for a brief spell, before Buccs, led by prop Brian Noone and second row Mick O’Regan, camped once again on the Creggs 22.
However, Buccs just couldn’t get through for a try and it was Creggs who opened the scoring with a fine penalty by Mark Brandon from the ten-metre line.
Brandon added a second penalty just before half time to leave Creggs 6-0 ahead at the break. Buccaneers predictably came out with all guns blazing at the start of the second half and they were awarded a penalty when Creggs strayed offside in midfield following a strong charge by second row Gerry Glynn. Outhalf Michael Donoghue kicked a penalty goal to leave just three points between the evenly matched sides midway through the second half.
Mark Brandon made a superb break before off-loading to Ruairi Leddy in support, and he in turn found winger Micheál Conway who was stopped just short of the line. Hoewver, Buccaneers were penalised in the next phase of play and Ruairi Leddy took full advantage to score an opportunist try after a quickly taken penalty. Mark Brandon’s conversion gave Creggs a 13-3 lead.
Buccaneers responded with another Donoghue penalty, before Emmet Collins dropped a superb goal to give his team a ten-point cushion heading into the final quarter. The pace was fast and furious as Buccs threw everything into attack, but the game’s decisive score came when impressive flanker Paul Mahony scored a superb solo try for Creggs, when Mark Brandon converted. A late penalty by Brandon left Creggs 26-6 ahead, but the margin of victory did not adequately reflect Buccaneers contribution to a highly entertaining game played in beautiful conditions in Dubarry Park. This was a great team performance by Creggs, with every member of the squad playing his part to engineer a memorable victory over a strong and determined Buccaneers outfit.
Creggs: Gareth McElhone, Micheál Conway, Ruairi Leddy, Bernard Kilcommons, Gerry Keegan, Emmet Collins, Mark Brandon, Nigel Glennon, Larry Mannion, Peter Heaney, Kevin Raftery, Robbie Kilcommons, Paul Mahony, Kieran Ryan, Trevor Nee, Padraig McKeague.

U13s reach quarter final
Creggs U13s were in Galway on Sunday morning to play Galwegians in the first round of the Connacht Cup. They got off to a flying start when after only three minutes Conor Shanagher blocked down a defensive kick which Micheal Farrell picked up and ran over the line for a try that he converted. Galwegians won the ball from the restart and drove up the pitch with conviction but were stopped short of the Creggs try line by a Matthew Browne tackle that ended his participation in the game after a heavy knock to his knee. He was replaced by James McNally after only fifteen minutes. A few minutes later the destructive Creggs number eight Brian Diffily ran forty metres through several Galwegian tackles to touch down under the posts. He went on to score another try off the back of a scrum shortly after which was followed by two Micheal Farrell penalties and a Mark Dolan try that left the score at half time 26-0. Aaron Glennon replaced the injured Rory Cunniffe. Cormac Haslam and Jordan Kennedy joined the team at half time. From the kick-off Creggs took the game to ‘Wegians and Brian Diffily once again ran almost the length of the pitch, handing off players and braking tackles to score under the posts. Micheal Farrell converted the try. Aaron Langan, Micheal Henaghan, David O’Gorman and Aaron Gacquin all came on after the conversion. From the Galwegians kick-off Creggs number seven Edward Clinton caught the ball and off-loaded to Aaron Langan who ran thirty metres, handed off the fullback and scored in the corner. Cormac Haslam also scored a fine individual try when he ran forty metres through the ‘Wegians defence to score under the posts. Galwegians never gave up and applied a lot of pressure in the last few minutes they got quick ball off the back of a ruck which there Out-half Jonah Culligan scored from he failed to convert it which left the final score 44-5. This was one of Creggs best displays so far this year and are now through to the quarter final of the cup. We very much appreciated all the support from parents and grandparents and from the club president Berney Higgins who travelled from Tulsk to Galway on Sunday morning. Training is on Wednesday at 7 pm.
Creggs: Max Bannon, Rory Cunniffe, Dan Butt, Richard Thompson, Dylan Morrin, Mark Dolan, Edward Clinton, Brian Diffley, Breen Fallon, Jack Harkins, Sean Doorly, Ross Murphy, Conor Shanagher, Michael Farrell, Matthew Browne, Aaron Glennon, David O’Gorman, Cormac Haslam, James McNally, Jordan Kennedy, Aaron Gacquin, Michael Heneghan, Aaron Langan.




Connacht Emerging Talent squad named for game against Leinster North Midlands