Connacht made it six consecutive wins in all competitions with a 28 – 23 bonus point win over Edinburgh at Murrayfield tonight.

Starting with a 5-metre scrum in Edinburgh’s 22, Man of the Match AJ MacGinty crossed for the opening score after 20 minutes of Connacht dominance with Craig Ronaldson adding the extras.

Ten minutes later Edinburgh lock Anton Bresler was shown yellow for pulling down the maul and the kick to the corner allowed Jake Heenan drive over from the five-metre lineout drive, Ronaldson with the impressive touchline conversion.

Connacht full back Tiernan O’Halloran was also given ten minutes just before the break for a high tackle but the penalty attempt from scrum half Sam Hedalgo-Clyne was kicked wide.

Half time: Edinburgh 0 – 14 Connacht 

The drama continued at the start of the second half as a minute after Bresler returned following his yellow card, Damien Hoyland released centre Chris Dean on the outside and he touched down, with Hidalgo-Clyne unable to add the extras.

But just two minutes later and Connacht grabbed their third try of the game when Bundee Aki spotted a gap and darted through; Ronaldson making it 21-5.

Edinburgh were pilling on the pressure though and after a huge driving maul and well-worked move, a perfect passed allowed Hoyland to dot down in the corner and Hidalgo-Clyne made no mistake this time to close the gap to 21-12.

The hosts then moved to within a score when Cornell du Preez took advantage of a three-on-one in the corner and although Hidalgo-Clyne’s conversion struck the bar, he did reduce the deficit to just a solitary point with a penalty 12 minutes from time.

But the momentum shifted once again and they grabbed a bonus point when replacement flanker Eoin McKeon broke from the base of the scrum to score and MacGinty added the extras to make it 28-20.

It looked as though all of Edinburgh’s endeavour would result in nothing as the Fields of Athenry rang around BT Murrayfield with the clock winding down.

But the hosts continued to attack and were awarded a penalty in additional time which Hidalgo-Clyne slotted to secure a losing bonus point.

Full time: Edinburgh 23 – 28 Connacht

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU)

Man of the Match: AJ MacGinty


Eoin De Buitléar signs first Professional contract with Connacht Rugby