The Sligo Rugby seconds team kicked off the new season with a fine win over Galwegians at Hamilton Park on Sunday.  Sligo started the game with a light wind in their faces and made much of the early play during the opening stanza.  The forwards, ably lead by No 8 and skipper Leigh Fenton, were delivering quick ball to the backs which allowed the midfield duo to make some telling breaks.  This period of sustained pressure was rewarded with a kickable penalty which outhalf and Man of the Match Billy Leahy converted to give Sligo the early lead. 

Stung into life, the heavier Galwegians pack began making their mark on the game.  Powerful surges around the fringes and a clear domination at scrum time, placed the Sligo team under intense pressure.  Two penalties gave Galwegians a narrow lead which they then extended with a nicely taken try from an attacking scrum.  Sligo’s woes further compounded just before halftime, when a loose pass was neatly intercepted by the Galwegians outhalf who cantered to the line to score. 

Going into the break 16 – 6 down, the Sligo team needed to deliver a strong second half avoid a first up home defeat.  In the early exchanges of the second half, there were clear signs that the men from Galway were tiring.  Slowly but surely, the Sligo team worked themselves back into the game.  Now it was the Sligo front row of Aaron Tansey, Darren Wilson and Ben Heath who were prospering at scrum time, shunting the Galwegians pack off the ball.  Now it was the Sligo loose forwards who were hitting ball up with venom and knocking their larger opponents backward in the tackle. 

With the flow of quality ball resumed, the Sligo backs began hitting their stride.  Left wing Brian Mullen was terrorising the defence every time he touched the ball, while on the other wing, two tries went begging when great lead up work was spoiled by a poor final pass.  The dam finally burst, when after several phases of play, Billy Leahy stepped through the defence to score near the posts. 

Stuart O’Brien then scored twice in succession.  The first came after some strong work by the forwards which allowed the replacement scrum half to power over the line from short range.  The second came when the Galwegian defence, now struggling with the pace of the game, turned their backs after being penalised at ruck time.  The quick thinking O’Brien took a tap penalty and ran forty meters to score untouched under the posts.  The conversion made the final score 26 – 16 to Sligo. 

An impressive start to the season, the Sligo team showed great composure to come back from the half time deficit and eventually win in fine style.  They now look forward to an away match against Monivea next weekend.


Juvenile Rugby Training continued on Saturday last at Sligo IT with huge numbers attending, a number of senior players assisted with the coaching of the U11s and U12s which was of great benefit to our team of coaches.

On Saturday next 29th all age groups travel to Enniskillen for our first away fixture of the season, all players and coaches are requested to attend, Bus leaves From the Sligo IT at 8.15.

On Saturday 6th Oct we have our first home fixture against Ballina in all age groups.

New members are always welcome please contact [email protected] for further information.

All members must be registered before end of October full details on the Sligo RFC website.


The Jes reach last four with last minute winner