Sligo RFC 11 – Sundays Well 17

A slow start proved the undoing of Sligo as they lost out to Sundays Well in their latest Ulster Bank League encounter on Saturday. 
With Hamilton Park unplayable due to the unprecedented levels of rainfall, Sligo Grammar School generously made their excellent playing facility available to the club which allowed-the game to go ahead. 
Sundays Well kicked off playing into the teeth of the stiff breeze and used their strong pack to allow them set up camp in the Sligo 22. Four minutes in the visitors took the lead that they never relinquished with a well struck penalty. 
Sligo’s cause took a further blow on 10 mins when a well organised Sundays Well maul was pulled down close to the line and the referee went under the posts to award a penalty try. The conversion put the visitors ten points clear.

Five minutes later in almost identical circumstance Sundays Well double their try count. A penalty kicked into the Sligo corner allowed field position for the line out and the maul was driven over the line. The conversion was added and Sligo had a mountain to climb.

To their credit Sligo gamely responded and began to put some phases together. Adrian Mc Hale and Jamie Bowes began to carry with intent and the footwork of Chris Nairn and Mark Butler was causing concern in the visitors defence. A Stefan Moir penalty on thirty five minutes opened Sligo’s account but Sligo were unable to add to their total before the interval.

Coach Simon Galvan rallied his troops at half time and Sligo began the second half with purpose. 

The Sligo faithful were given something to cheer about on 50 minutes. Some good midfield play with Gavin Foley prominent placed Sligo in the ‘Well 22. The forwards drove for the line with David Heath and Tadgh Power involved before young Number eight Eddie Connell powered over to touch down wide on the left.

Sligo continued to press, and grew in confidence as the game wore on.The dynamism of replacement Rory Kerins increased the Sligo tempo and a Moir penalty put Sligo within a score. 

With10 minutes remaining a flowing right to left move looked to put Aaron Spring away for what could have been a match score but the referee blew for a forward pass and the chance was lost. Sligo gamely fought it out to the end but the visiting defence held on and Sligo had to be content with a losing bonus point when the final whistle sounded.

Next up for Sligo is the visit of Limerick based outfit Richmond RFC. Like Sligo Richmond are in their second spell in the All Ireland league and both teams are in need of valuable league points so an eagerly contested encounter is in store? the match kicks off at Strandhill at 2.30 on February 15th.

Sligo: Mark Butler, Aaron Spring, Chris Nairn, Gavin Foley, Colin Keane, Stefan Moir, Paddy Pearson, Adrian McHale, Ross Mannion, Wesley Maxwell, Michael McMorrow, Jamie Bowes, David Heath, Eoin Matthews, Eddie Connell. Reps Tadgh Power, Rory Kerins, David Cawley, Enda Gavin.


Connacht Emerging Talent squad named for game against Leinster North Midlands