Westport 15 Galwegians 5

The Westport under 15’s continued their winning run in the Connacht League at Carrowholly on Sunday.  The homeside started rather nervously and seemed a little off the pace, probably due to having not trained for two weeks due to waterlogged pitches and unclement weather.  Right from the kick off, the Galwegians showed they meant business and were putting it up to the Bulls who had to defend stoutly in the first 5 minutes.  Westport  were offside in a ruck in front of the posts around 10 minutes from the start  but the visitors normally reliable kicker missed the penalty.  From the restart, the Galwegians rucked and mauled their way to the Bulls 10 metre line.  Brilliant passing through the visiting back line resulted in a try in the corner however the conversion was missed.
The Bulls, stung from this setback, livened up and began to tear into the Galwegians.  Patrick O’Toole and Cormac Groden gained hard yards which set up a ruck deep in the opposition territory.  Kevin Hastings won possession and ran hard along the touchline beating a few tackles and scored a superb try in the corner.  Dwayne Corcoran missed a difficult conversion leaving the score tied at 5 apiece.
Galway were rattled and were caught offside at the restart which resulted in scrum to Westport.  Following the scrum, Westport’s Sean Tobin kicked ahead to within a yard of the Galwegian’s line.  The defense fumbled the ball and Kevin Hastings was quickest to dive on the ball for another Port try.  A missed conversion and half time whistle left the Bulls leading by 5 at the break.
The second half got underway with Westport playing with the aid of the wind.  It was back and forth with both sides threatening to score only to be denied by the great defenses.  Galwegians did get over the Bulls line but the ball was held up brilliantly by Westport defense.  Ton O’Malley tackled superbly throughout and was an inspiration to his teammates.  With time ticking away, Westport were pressing and Dwayne Corcoran was held up close to the line.  The Bulls were penalised in the ruck and Wegians found a good touch from the kick.  Galway won the line out and were awarded a penalty when Westport went over the top in the ruck.  Again the penalty was missed and from the restart, Dwayne Corcoran kicked long into the corner and Galway fumbled the catch and knocked on.  Westport won the scrum and rucked well up to the line, but was penalised for not releasing the ball in the tackle.  Galway kicked down the middle from the penalty and full back Rory Keating caught the ball and ran untouched for a try in the corner.  Following a missed conversion the referee blew the final whistle leaving the Bulls winners by 10 points.
Westport now are top of their group and will play Castlebar next Saturday


The Jes reach last four with last minute winner